Wednesday, November 19, 2014

An Unknown Holiday: Family Volunteer Day

23 years ago, a volunteer service company called Points of Life started an awesome holiday called Family Volunteer Day. This day is always the Saturday before Thanksgiving to "kick-off the holiday season with giving and service." This year Family Volunteer Day falls on Saturday the 22nd. Personally, I am in love with this idea! Not only are we giving back to our communities but we're also teaching our children to be outstanding individuals. My daughter is only 19 months old so, sadly, I've got some waiting to do until we can do community service together. But I'm not letting that stop my giving spirit!

When I first realized that I absolutely hate my job and decided to go into business for myself, I knew 100% that I wanted to impact the world in some small way. Yeah yeah, being a business owner is the bee's knees sometimes but I knew that I wanted more than a fancy title. I have always admired companies that give back to the community and actually, Disney Change for Kids is partnered with GernerationOn for this year's Family Volunteer Day. Anyway, the idea hit me one day. I can do that with my business too! But then I had to figure out what exactly I wanted to help with. Since having my daughter, my heart strings have been on super overdrive and literally everything touches me emotionally. That's when I had my next great idea.

I decided that for each month of the year my business would donate to a different organization. Due to November being all about food, I decided that November's Charity of the Month would be Feeding America. For each product purchased I will donate $1 USD to help feed hungry families in the United States. Sure, it's not much but according to Feeding America's website just $1 can help feed 10 families through their network of food pantries!

I love that there is a Family Volunteer Day in existence. By doing a little community service as a family you're not only gaining valuable time with your kids, you're also teaching them how to be awesome adults and the world really needs some more of those! We were all born to do good in the world so I encourage all of my readers to grab the kids and embark on an adventure this Saturday.

Let me know what your family is planning on doing! I would love some future ideas. Don't forget to take plenty of pictures and use #BornToReign on your social media accounts!




You can find more information about my business at borntoreignfashion.com and don't forget to please like us on Facebook.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    I really enjoyed your blog and love your passion for volunteering. Its amazing that your passion is to give back and make a difference in the world. Perhaps you can create your own holiday with your company on giving back to the community. Do you believe that your business would grow in your community by giving back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Keocia!

      I think more people would be willing to shop through me knowing that a portion of the money is being given back to the community.

      My own holiday would be fun but I think we have even holidays as it is lol.

      Delete
  2. I too love the idea of giving to the community. I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity as much as I can. I haven't had much time to volunteer lately but I do try. I never really thought of doing any kind of community service until I joined the Navy. They always encourage us to volunteer as much as possible. In order to give incentive for service members to actually give to the community, the Navy offers awards to people who have a certain amount of hours and also account for it when deciding advancements. I do like the idea of your business donating to a good cause. I know every time i go to a store and they ask if I would Like to donate a dollar to what ever fund, I cannot resist. Gets me every time. I also donate $15 each month to a few charities as a part of a Navy program to encourage service members to donate. I'm not sure what funds it goes to but each year when I renew the allotment I just check off 3 random charities on the list. Thank you for giving back.
    P.S. the world could use more people with your mindset on community service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tyler!

      I love that our military does that! I have always had a giving heart but it wasn't really until I joined a sorority that I learned giving doesn't always involve giving your time in service. A lot of organizations can only run if they have people donating money.

      I think the world is full of people like me, they just haven't done anything with it yet.

      Delete
  3. Hey Jessica!

    And so I clicked!
    It's a wonderful thing you're doing with the volunteering and the contributions from your company as well. I also like the fact that you choose a different charity every year. I think it's great because you get to see how different organizations deal with donors and recipients of the gifts. This will, no doubt, inspire different ways you/we can participate to help our fellow beings. Since I'm posting after this year's Family Volunteer Day, is it possible for you to put up some pics from the event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hilaire,

      It's a different charity every month and it goes by way too fast it seems lol.

      What people do for Family Volunteer Day is unique to each family. Because my daughter is too young for community service I just donated money to Feeding America.

      Even though the holiday has passed it's never to late to get out there and do some good!

      Delete